Welcome.

Site designed for teachers and students who want to keep up with the world of English Language.

quinta-feira, 16 de setembro de 2010

Don't be afraid of Phrasal Verbs. (Part 2)

Here we are again for a second list of good and useful Phrasal Verbs for you to learn and, more important, make use of them. If you don't know what Phrasal Verbs are, go and read Don't be afraid of Phrasal Verbs Part 1 at this blog. So, let's go for a new round of verbs.

Calm down - acalmar.
She was furious whe she saw the  broken window but I calmed her down telling her you were not the guilty.
(Ela ficou furiosa quando viu a janela quebrada, mas a acalmei dizendo que você não era o culpado.)

Catch up with - alcançar, equiparar-se.
You'll have to practice more if you want to catch up with the best ones in the team.
(Você terá que treinar mais se quiser alcançar os melhores do time.)

Check in - chegar e registrar-se em um hotel ou companhia aérea.
I've already checked in. When may I embark?
(Já fiz o check-in. Quando posso embarcar?)

Check out - pagar a conta em um hotel ou restaurante; olhar; paquerar.
Waiter, can you check us out, please?
(Garçom, nossa conta por favor.)
Check it out!
(Dá uma olhada!)
I guess that cute girl is checking me out.
(Acho que aquela gatinha está me paquerando.)


Cheer up - animar-se.
Drink this beer and cheer up!
(Beba essa cerveja e se anime!)

Clean up - arrumar, organizar, limpar.
After finishing the party, we have to clean the house up or my Mom kills me.
(Depois que a festa acabar, temos que limpar a casa ou minha mãe me mata.)

Come across - encontar inesperadamente.
Guess who I came across at the mall?
(Adivinha com quem me encontrei no shopping?)
You come across lost things when you clean your drawers up.
( A gente acha coisas perdidas quando se limpa nossas gavetas.)

Come apart - separar, partir-se.
After a serious earthquake, the ground may come apart.
(Depois de um forte terremoto, o chão pode se abrir.)

Come down with - contrair, pegar (uma doença).
My daughter came down with measles but she's all right now.
(Minha filha pegou sarampo mas ela está bem agora.)

Cross out - riscar (de uma lista por exemplo).
Please, cross her old address out and write her new one.
(Por favor, risque o antigo endereço dela e escreva o novo.)

Cut back on - reduzir o consumo.
If you want to live longer, cut back on fat food, said my doctor.
(Se você quiser viver mais, reduza a gordura da comida, disse meu médico.)

Cut down - cortar (galhos, árvores)
I had the tree cut down because it was too sick and old.
(Mandei cortar a árvore porque estava muito doente e velha.)

Cut in - cortar, interromper; entrar na frente, furar (fila).
The music was cut in because the bride's father is making a speech.
(Cortaram a música porque o pai da noiva está fazendo um discurso.)
We almost crashed because a car cut in the bus.
(Quase batemos porque um carro cortou a frente do ônibus.)
I hate people cutting in the line.
(Odeio gente cortando fila.)    

 Cut off - cortar (com algo bem afiado), cortar o suprimento.
Guillotine was a kind of instrument used for cutting off  people heads as a capital punishment.
(A guilhotina era um tipo de instrumento usado para decapitar pessoas condenadas à morte.)
If we don't pay the the telephone bill today, the company will cut it off.
(Se não pagarmos a conta de telefone hoje, vai ser cortado.)

Cut out - recortar (com uma tesoura por exemplo).
I cut this pictures out of the magazine.
(Recortei essas figuras da revista.)

Do over - refazer.
The teacher wants me to do it over because he doesn't believe I did myself.
( O professor quer que eu faça tudo de novo porque ele não acredita que foi eu mesmo que fiz.)

Do away with - desfazer-se, livrar-se.
Mr. Johnson told us to do away with all the papers.
(O Sr. Johnson mandou nos livrarmos de todos os papéis.)

Do up - fechar, prender.
Do up the belts!
(Apertem os cintos!)

Do without - viver sem, virar-se bem sem.
I really can't understand how some people do without taking a shower everyday.
(Realmente não entendo como algumas pessoas vivem sem tomar banho todo dia.)

Dress up - vestir-se bem.
Why are you dressed up?
(Por que você está toda bem arrumada?)

Dress down - usar roupas informais (mas isso não quer dizer que esteja mal-vestido).
I hate to work in offices because I can't dress down.
(Detesto trabalhar em escritórios pois não posso usar roupas mais informais.)

Drop by - visitar (de surpresa).
What happiness! My mother-in-law dropped us by this weekend.
(Que felicidade! Minha sogra nos visitou esse fim de semana.)

Drop off - levar e deixar.
I have to drop my sister off at school and then I come back here.
(Tenho que deixar minha irmã na escola e então volto aqui.)

Drop out - largar, deixar.
Martin dropped out of guitar classes to have drums classes.
(Martin parou de fazer aulas de violão para ter aulas de bateria.)


That's it people. Soon a new list of Phrasal Verbs will be available for you.






    Study them and be a...

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário